Take-Home Vs. In-Office Teeth Whitening – Breaking Down The Differences
If you’re interested in boosting your confidence with a teeth whitening treatment in Tampa, Dr. Dannica Brennan and our team are here to help. We focus on cosmetic and biomimetic dentistry because we love seeing patients transform their smiles and live their boldest. With take-home or in-office teeth whitening, the Flossologie team can help you eliminate pesky stains and tooth yellowing, and restore the natural brightness of your teeth.
In this blog, we’ll take a look at the basics and benefits of take-home teeth whitening vs. in-office teeth whitening, and help you learn a bit more about which one may be right for you.
What Are The Benefits Of Take-Home Teeth Whitening?
If you choose take-home whitening, you’ll come to our office and Dr. Brennan will take a scan of your teeth and fabricate custom whitening trays for you same day. You will receive whitening products (carbamine peroxide) and instructions on how to whiten your teeth. You’ll wear these overnight for about 2 weeks.
Take-home teeth whitening has lots of benefits:
- Fits your busy schedule – Overall, you’ll need to spend less time at Flossologie compared to in-office treatment. And once you pick up your trays, you can whiten your teeth in the comfort of your own home, whenever it fits into your schedule.
- Gradual whitening process – Take-home whitening provides the same results as in-office treatment. However, the results are more gradual. Some patients actually prefer this, since this makes it less obvious that they’ve had their teeth whitened.
- Lower cost – This varies depending on the patient, but take-home treatment tends to be cheaper than in-office whitening, which is a great option if you’re on a tight budget.
What Are The Benefits Of In-Office Teeth Whitening?
The in-office teeth whitening process begins with placing a desensitizer on the teeth and then a barrier over the gums. We will then apply a hydrogen peroxide gel onto the teeth. This will stay on the teeth for 2-3 x 20 minute rounds. Once you are finished, we will remove the barrier, rinse off the gel and apply the desensitizer again.
Why choose in-office whitening? Here are some of the benefits:
- Faster results – Compared to take-home whitening, in-office whitening offers faster results, with teeth up to 5-10 shades brighter after just one appointment. This means that you can get fast results for a special occasion like a wedding, business conference, or any other occasion.
- Great for sensitive teeth – At Flossologie, we use advanced whiteners with anti-sensitivity compounds to help reduce sensitivity after in-office teeth whitening. This keeps you feeling comfortable during and after your appointment at our office.
Will Whitening Products Cause Side Effects?
The only common side effect of teeth whitening is tooth sensitivity. During take-home treatment and after in-office whitening, your teeth may feel a bit sore, tender, and sensitive. This is normal, and will go away within a few days after your treatment.
During your treatment, Dr. Brennan can provide you with instructions on how to reduce sensitivity, such as avoiding really hot and cold foods and drinks, using anti-sensitivity toothpaste like Sensodyne, and more.
Book Your Teeth Whitening Appointment In Tampa Today!
Whether you choose an at-home or in-office teeth whitening treatment, you’ll love the results. If you’d like a brighter smile and a confidence-boost, the team at Flossologie is right by your side. We specialize in both in-office and take-home teeth whitening in Tampa to put your best smile forward.